Well, the cosmo skyscrapers finally tumbled to earth this week. Weighted down with soggy spent blossoms, the rain-weakened stems tilted and sagged across each other like a mushy crop circle. I admit, I’m to blame. Creative neglect usually passes a point of no return – and I know this. I could have staked up the leaning mass of stems and flowers. (And I probably will this week while I’m staycating.) But honestly, they were so rambly-shambly already, I didn’t think things could get any worse. I didn’t realize further toppling was possible.
I spent a couple of hours cutting off the dead heads, and extracted a couple of the heaviest culprits, so the others could spring back a little more upright. The plants that remain will keep blooming until frost. They would probably straggle on after that, but we do a clean sweep at the end of October. There will be plenty of volunteers in the spring, I’m sure.
Now the nasturtiums can see the sun. The bachelor buttons that escaped by clinging to my neighbor’s chicken wire will have a chance to spread and maybe I’ll even be able to reach them with my clippers.
I mean, let’s be honest. I’ve already had more abundance than I ever imagined from these lighter-than-air pink and white confections. At least one specimen of every variety bloomed, despite my almost total incompetence.
I’ve learned my lesson. I’m going to get some of the peachy colored ones for next year.